Just a thought about the next version of FreeDOS…

It does not seem that it has yet been decided if the next version of FreeDOS
should be 1.3.1, 1.3-SR1, 1.4 or 2.0. However, there is no technical reason it
needs to be just one line. The current RBE (release build environment) and
package maintenance workflow can handle the simultaneous development and
deployment of multiple versions of the operating system and the related
software. This includes different versions of packages in each.

The capability for multiple OS versions was used during the later stages of 1.3
development. At that time, I split off the pre-release 1.3 into a DEV0
development line for some experimental testing of various things. That include
changes to installation, packages and translations. Eventually, when everything
was working as it was supposed to and looked good, I used the DEV0 line replace
the previous line of development.

Keeping that in mind, we could continue to provide improvements and updates as
1.3x or 1.4x. While at the same time, begin work on a completely different kind
of FreeDOS. This could provide the users with ongoing improvements. While at
the same time, provide an entirely new DOS experience.

Eventually when the 2.0 version reaches a release state (possibly years away),
we could discontinue improving the the 1.x line. Or, maybe keep it around. If
we provide two separate lines of release, the 2.x series could be greatly
simplified. Possibly even a single release media (CD, DVD or USB. No LegacyCD,
etc.).

:-)

Jerome