Hi,

Based on the discussion during the online get-together and the tool-chain and
release processes used to maintain packages and deploy release media, this is
what I’m thinking…

The pipeline used to assemble all the different aspects into a release is very
capable. It can handle multiple OS versions without issue. Including things
like different names, package sets, specific skews of individual packages and
much much more.

So...

An automated "Testing build" of the OS release media (possibly all versions or
just maybe the LiveCD) on a regular schedule. Possible the 1st of every month.
This version would be called something like “FreeDOS 2022-06.” It would contain
new features and packages, updates and any other changes. This version could
easily boot with a message indicating it is a Test Build.

At some point, we could decide that there has been enough improvement to
warrant a new OS release. When that occurs, we could branch the "Testing Build”
into an “RC build”.  We would decide at that time if it would be a simple
update (like FreeDOS 1.3U1-RC1) or major release (like FreeDOS 1.4, 2.0, etc.).
Regardless of which type, the “RC build” would only get bug fixes from that
point.

During that time, the "Testing Build” could continue to receive general
changes. However (excluding bug fixes), the Testing Build would most like sit
idle during the testing of the RC Build.

When we are satisfied that the RC Build is ready, we just push out the new OS
version.

 :-)

Jerome