Hi,

> On May 16, 2022, at 7:24 PM, Louis Santillan <lpsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any thoughts about the ability to build (more than kernel, FreeCOM, ISO) from
> source?

The release build process does not compile individual programs. It pulls
pre-compiled versions staged in package format from the Official FreeDOS
Archive on GitLab ( https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS <https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS> ).
When the RBE (Release Build Environment) creates the release media, it checks
each project for a branch specific to the OS build skew it is creating. If it
exists, it will use that branch for the release. Otherwise, it will just use
the default (usually “master") branch.

Doing a full OS release using the pre-compiled packages is still a long process
taking nearly an hour. When the RBE is set to Verbose, it displays only the
main actions performed to generate the release. Even so, many megabytes of text
is displayed. And that is only an overview of what is being done. There is a
good deal of processing performed on packages and their metadata during a
release build. Compiling those packages during a release build, would add many
hours to the OS release build process.

But, it has long been problematic building many packages from source. So, it
isn’t actually possible at present.

However, I’ve often thought it would be nice to sort-of standardize building
packages from source. Possibly by including a “BUILD.BAT” or “BUILD.SH” for
each project. Such a script could then verify that all tools and versions are
present to build the package. Then, it could perform all the actions needed to
compile and put it in package format. For some, that would be easy. For others,
not so much. Many things rely on difficult to find libraries or specific
versions. While others may need commercial compilers.

For example, there have been numerous times I have spent hours working on
getting an “updated” program that is available in source only to compile. And
then, not always successfully because some critical piece of information on
compiling it is missing. Nowadays, for the most part, if the developer cannot
be bothered to provide a compiled version (at least for comparison), I won’t
bother with trying to compile and update that program.

:-)

Jerome