Hi,

> On Jul 12, 2022, at 6:19 AM, Steve Nickolas <usots...@buric.co> wrote:
> [..]
> For some reason I don't understand (me am n00b) the footprint is 144 bytes
> larger than the MS-DOS 5/6 version, but the binary is smaller.

I haven’t looked at the code for either. But, there are some things in general
to consider with TSRs.

I would assume the memory footprint difference may be related to optimization
of the executables layout and data storage. Basically, when you return to DOS,
you release all the memory you don’t need. So, you store all the data you do
need to keep in the beginning of the program. At start, jump past it and do all
the initialization stuff. Then free everything you don’t need when you call the
terminate-but-stay-resident interrupt.

You could even use areas of the PSP (program segment prefix) to store some
data. For example, once processed, you could move data into the PSP command
line buffer. Another thing, is to free the env segment. Maybe even Shuffle your
own data and code around at run-time.

Lots of tricks like that.

:-)

Jerome