Hello Steve,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 at 12:19, Steve Nickolas <usots...@buric.co> wrote:

> I've been working on this for my own project, and it's only useful for the
> rare CGA or Tandy users out there (which is probably why MS-DOS 6
> relegated it to the Supplemental disk and PC DOS 6 removed it).
>
> GRAFTABL hooks INT1F to provide the upper half of the charset in graphics
> mode on a CGA or Tandy.  (DISPLAY.SYS does this and more on more modern
> display adapters.)  The current version seems to be incomplete - only
> supports a single hardwired codepage? - so I figured I'd offer my own,
> which is my first successful attempt at a TSR that actually does
> something.

Once solved the "legal issues", one way to go could be to enrich DISPLAY
instead of making a new driver. DISPLAY is organised as having
"sub-drivers":

DISPLAY CON = (EGA,437,2)

where "EGA" is used to select the sub-driver, 437 is to declare the
codepage that is hardwired in the hardware, and 2 is the number of how many
room for CPIs you want.
Ideally, you could add a "CGA" sub-driver, so that instead of GRAFTABL, one
could issue

DISPLAY CON=(CGA,437,1)

and you save from the TSR stuff, the codepage loading stuff and the
interrupts hooking stuff.

Just an idea that lingered in my mind for a lot of time, although I never
had an enormous interest to care about CGA.

Aitor