HI,

> On Jul 30, 2022, at 2:15 AM, TK Chia <u1049321...@caramail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Ralf Quint,
>
>> Well, not having comments to understand what you are doing is pretty
>> tough when you don't have the time to analyze the code line by line. But
>> IIRC, the common way to check for the presence of an ANSI device driver
>> was to check via an INT 2Fh (multiplexer) call (don't recall the exact
>> call value (AX/AH)).
>>
>> Will take a closer look at this later this evening when I am back, I am
>> heading out to this year's SCaLE conference... ;-)
>
> What Jerome's code does is to send an `ESC [ 6 n' sequence and try to
> check (in a particular way) if the console responds with a "keyboard
> input" sequence of the form `ESC [' ... `R CR'.
>
> About these sequences, the Linux console_codes(4) man page says,
>
> "ESC [ 6 n
>
> "Cursor position report (CPR): Answer is ESC [ y ; x R, where x,y
> is the cursor location.
> "
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> https://gitlab.com/tkchia

Correct.

The test works correctly under at least the most recent versions of MS-DOS
(6.x), PC-DOS and DR-DOS.

As Tom said, it would most likely fail (and return FALSE) if the display was
over a network connection. However, adding a simple WAIT and TIMEOUT would
probably solve that. Usage over a remote VT100 terminal connection was probably
something I was thinking about at the time. That is also most likely one of the
reasons it completely avoids the BIOS for the probe.

:-)

Jerome