Since thengraphics cards of VMs are, as far as I'm aware generally
VESA compatible, unless you specifically decide not to use one in qemu
or bochs, you should have a relatively high hitrate by using the 4Fh
interrupt to query the VESA info. In the case of Virtualbox/VMWare,
you'll definitely find out that way.