On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 at 15:23, tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

> this argument is nonsense. many/most people don't care about the 'open source'
> part as long as it's free.

I disagree. I think it's perfectly fair to say "FreeDOS does not
support MS Windows" and end it there.

> most care more if this OS supports big disks or much memory.

Not related to the above point.

> after all, an OS is not an end target:
> people need the OS to run their applications like
>
> 1. Play classic DOS games.

DOSbox covers this, easier and better.

> 2. Run legacy software.

DOSbox covers this, easier and with *much* better integration.

> 3. Develop embedded systems.

Not sure that's important in 2023. Any citations?

> none of this is open source.

This is false. Many games and a whole assortment of productivity apps
are either FOSS or freeware. Here is a site dedicated to that:

https://clasqm.github.io/freedos-repo/

> I can't see many users to reprogram their motherboard (even if it
> would be supported) just to play a casual round of Doom or
> Wolfenstein.

You misunderstand me so totally that I find it hard to imagine that
this is not intentional.

I am talking about a UEFI bootloader *which includes BIOS emulation*
using this existing FOSS BIOS.

I am not talking about reprogramming anyone's computers.

> whatever EMM386 and friends was and is, it is definitively not what
> people think when they hear 'DOS VM'. you are abusing words to make a
> point. not good.

I don't really care. I am talking about how existing DOS 386 memory
managers have worked for 35+ years now.

The 80386 has hardware support for multiple concurrent DOS VMs. This
is called V86 mode. How *ALL* DOS 386 memory managers work is using
this features.

We cannot change the historical language now.

> and would be so completely useless that it hurts.
>
> no network card.

Yep. This is DOS on 202x hardware. Networking won't work. Other OSes cover that.

> no mouse.

Probably yes, but emulation is possible.

> no USB devices.

Probably yes. DOS is the wrong OS if you want to use USB.

> (no memory at b8000 or a0000)?

Sorted out by the memory manager.

> no sound.

Yep. I don't think any modern sound card will work. We are talking
about a 1990s OS on 2020s hardware.

> nothing with interrupts.

The memory manager needs to map the lower 8 or 16 of them, and the
rest are for hardware unsupported by DOS anyway.

> congratulations.

You are blaming me for the fact that DOS can't support 202x computers?

I do not understand your thought processes or reasoning at all, and it
seems to me that you do not understand mine.

> actually still is; however you need a 32 bit installation of windows.

I know. I am a professional in this field and have been since 1988.
Please do me the courtesy of imagining that I know what I am talking
about.

> certainly good enough to Run legacy software. playing games very much
> depends on the game.

That use case is already covered and so is irrelevant to this
discussion, which I remind you is about how to boot DOS on a UEFI
computer. You seem to have forgotten this.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com