>>> whatever EMM386 and friends was and is, it is definitively not what
>>> people think when they hear 'DOS VM'. you are abusing words to make a
>>> point. not good.

>> I don't really care. I am talking about how existing DOS 386 memory
>> managers have worked for 35+ years now.

>> The 80386 has hardware support for multiple concurrent DOS VMs. This
>> is called V86 mode. How *ALL* DOS 386 memory managers work is using
>> this features.

>> We cannot change the historical language now.

> I - as grandfather of FreeDOS EMM386 - may say that you are abusing
> 'DOS VM' when referring to what EMM386 does.

after rereading (and rethinking), I concede that 'DOS VM' is probably
correct.

I was just irritated because EMM386 actually does nothing beyond a
little memory mapping and implement DPMI, while a 'virtual machine'
like virtualPC, virtualBox, etc. does ininitively more.

but I think the black box with the command prompt in Windows is indead
often called the DOS VM or DosBox.

Tom