On 2/15/2023 2:05 PM, Jim Hall wrote:
As I mentioned in my other email, I don't think we need to have
Graphical Desktops included in FreeDOS. I propose that we remove
Graphical Desktops from the next FreeDOS, starting with the next
FreeDOS Test release.

Graphical Desktops were a neat experiment, long ago. We used to have a
few desktops in FreeDOS, including Desktop2 (which was really just a
graphical menu and file launcher). Today, we have three desktops in
the FreeDOS distribution, under the "Graphical Desktops" group:

1. OpenGEM

This is a very nice graphical desktop that is basically the old GEM
desktop ("Graphics Environment Manager"). If you used DR-DOS, you may
have seen GEM. It works well and is solid. But no one writes apps for
OpenGEM - and without apps, it doesn't really add much value. The
packages are broken (wrong paths) but that is fixable.

I propose we remove OpenGEM from the distribution anyway.
I think we should help fix what is broken with OpenGEM and keep it, as you mention, it otherwise works, and you can run DOS programs from that UI, something that the other "wanna-be" GUI don't do.

That said, I have no problem with getting rid of Ozone and Seal...

Ralf

PS: The problem with "nobody writes apps for OpenGEM" is the way how "some people" are riding on the "it must be all Open Source" issue, which as I mentioned many times before, never really applied for DOS back in its days, and thus, we are seriously limiting ourselves to what can be done with FreeDOS.