If it was in fact removed from the "official" MS-DOS, and one wanted to
(re)implement it anyway, perhaps browsing the code of the open-source
recreation of OS/2 would help? It has a FAT32 driver which is compatible with
the OS/2 IFS and, as I recall, OS/2 was more of a direct successor to MS-DOS
than Windows ever was, so perhaps its code would be more helpful to a DOS dev
as opposed to the Windows versions.

Not sure, I haven't dug too deeply into that myself, but hope it possibly helps.

https://www.arcanoae.com/wiki/fat32/

Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.