Hi All,

Update on that SBEMU that I mentioned at the start of this thread.

———————————— Skip if you don’t care about the test machine ————————————
So, I have this old 17-inch Toshiba Satellite P25-S5092 battleship sized
notebook. It has just about
every possible port, slot and other option for that could be found on any
computer of that time period.
Things, like PCMCIA, SD-CARD, IR, USB, FIREWIRE, VGA and SVIDEO, and on and on.
It will even
boot from the internal CD/DVD or USB Floppies.

This modest 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 runs FreeDOS 1.3 like a champ. With three
exceptions.

1) The onboard LAN requires a packet driver not supplied with the release. No
problem, I have it.
2) No idea on getting WiFi to work. Oh well. Don’t really need it.
3) AC97 based sound card.

The laptop automatically supports PC-SPEAKER out the main audio speakers. So,
for those types of
DOS games it works fine and the volume can even be adjusted.
———————————— ————————————————————————————————

So, I decided to see about that SBEMU program.

It requires loading the HDPMI32I.EXE driver for protected mode support.
(supplied)
It requires loading QEMM for real mode support. (not supplied)

I cannot find my QuarterDeck serial number. It did not recognize JEMM. Don’t
know about 386MAX. So, only protected mode got enabled.

Tried running FreeDoom Phase 1, it just exits back to the command line.
Tried running FreeDoom Phase 2, it just exits back to the command line.
Tried BOOM, sound worked great.
Tried SAYSWHO, (real mode) no audio, game using ADLIB sound instead of PC
SPEAKER, might work if SBEMU’s real mode enabled.
Tried QTETRIS, sound worked great.

I feel those results are promising and worth further investigation.

I still have know idea of the project’s license.

Jerome