Hi,

Over a month ago, I opened an issue on the FreeDOS project on GitLab about
the Open Watcom v2 installer being extremely slow in FreeDOS. It takes an
hour or more on FreeDOS, while the same installation completes on MS-DOS
7.1 within just a few minutes. I've reproduced this in VM instances, both
with VirtualBox and Qemu/KVM on a Linux host. I have not tested this on a
bare-metal DOS machine.

See https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS/issue-reporting/-/issues/42

But I haven't seen anybody respond to the issue. Is that really the proper
place to report FreeDOS bugs these days? With the `issue-reporting`
subproject, this is at least implied.

To be clear, I used a recent DOS build of the Open Watcom v2 fork
<https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2> to test this. I did not
explicitly test this with the old original v1.9 release, but since the
installer runs fine on MS-DOS, it seems unlikely that this issue with
FreeDOS was introduced in the forked project.

The difference in installation time is extreme, which suggests some kind of
bug or inefficiency in the file access routines of FreeDOS.

Could somebody maybe take a look at this?

Also, I wonder if others have noticed similar poor file I/O performance
under FreeDOS with other DOS software.

Thanks.