On 3/7/2023 4:11 PM, Volkert via Freedos-devel wrote:
Hi,

Over a month ago, I opened an issue on the FreeDOS project on GitLab about the Open Watcom v2 installer being extremely slow in FreeDOS. It takes an hour or more on FreeDOS, while the same installation completes on MS-DOS 7.1 within just a few minutes. I've reproduced this in VM instances, both with VirtualBox and Qemu/KVM on a Linux host. I have not tested this on a bare-metal DOS machine.

See https://gitlab.com/FreeDOS/issue-reporting/-/issues/42

But I haven't seen anybody respond to the issue. Is that really the proper place to report FreeDOS bugs these days? With the `issue-reporting` subproject, this is at least implied.

To be clear, I used a recent DOS build of the Open Watcom v2 fork <https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2> to test this. I did not explicitly test this with the old original v1.9 release, but since the installer runs fine on MS-DOS, it seems unlikely that this issue with FreeDOS was introduced in the forked project.

The difference in installation time is extreme, which suggests some kind of bug or inefficiency in the file access routines of FreeDOS.

Could somebody maybe take a look at this?

Also, I wonder if others have noticed similar poor file I/O performance under FreeDOS with other DOS software.
Well, I know some folks will hate me for that (what else is new) but there is no MS-DOS 7.1. It's the bootup DOS system of Windows 95SR2 and up.

So possible issues at hand could be the use of FAT32 and/or long file names, which I somehow recall OW2 defaulting to.

The last time I installed OW was on one of my physical laptops, which are currently in storage, so I can't easily test this right now, and I am pretty sure that I installed the v1.9 from openwatcom.org. Not sure if both 1.9 and 2.0 are actually using the same installer...

Ralf