On Wed, 8 Mar 2023, Michael Brutman wrote:

Sorry, we have a terminology issue here.  (Again.)

A Virtual Machine for the rest of us is something like VMWare, Qemu,
VirtualBox, etc. - something that simulates a real machine.  You load a
real operating system in it and the operating system generally doesn't know
or care that it's actually in a simulation.

Those other environments are not virtual machines.  They are DOS emulators
or different versions of DOS.  They are not any form of a virtual machine.

You should have no problems with the InDOS flag when running real DOS in a
real virtual machine.  That may not be true for the emulated DOS
environments.  I wouldn't even think to try to look for the InDOS flag on
something like DOSBox.

-MIke

And QEMU sits on the line; if you use KVM it's a VM, but if you don't, it's an emulator.

-uso.