Hi All,

Logger is coming along great and I’m currently working on the final ALPHA-8
version. Once that is done, it will be time for a BETA or two. Then finally
version 1.0.

For fun, I decided to implement a single binary compiler directive. When
enabled, it generates a single COM that acts as both the driver and interface
program. But, I am unsure if I will use that or the dual (SYS+COM) build for
the 1.0 release.

Mostly, it comes down to the size of the binary. At present, both the driver
and interface programs are UPX compressible. Their uncompressed size are about
3k & 6k respectively. So, when space may be tight on a boot floppy, the driver
will only need about 2.5k (UPX’d) of diskette space. Also if the interface
program is used in batch files to append debugging comment messages (not shown
to the user) directly to the log, it requires loading just the 4k (UPX'ed)
interface program .

When compiled as a single COM for both the driver and interface, UPX
compression cannot be used and the binary is about 9k at present. Because there
is some common (or at least similar code) shared between the driver and
interface, this could most likely be reduced by 1 or 2k in some future version.
But that level of optimization will not happen anytime soon. I have other
things of much higher priorities that need doing.

So, the single COM will require almost 4 times the space of the dual binary
format. While it may not matter much for Hard Drives, CD-ROMs and USB sticks,
it could matter a lot for a floppy.

I guess for version 1.0, it could include the SYS and the single binary COM.
But, that could be confusing. Probably better to go with either the dual
binaries or just the single binary. And, I am leaning towards the dual binaries
for version 1.0.

IDK.

On a side note…

I was playing with the single binary version and noticed some interesting
things. Under VirtualBox, I could even wait to load it post boot using DEVLOAD
(high or low). Which reported "1 char device installed. Driver Loaded.” and
everything worked fine.

But under DOSBox, DEVLOAD reports an “ERROR: free drive letter not found,
increase LASTDRIVE”. I get that it is DOSBox and did not expect it to work.
But, the driver is a char device and doesn’t use a drive letter. And, DOSBox
uses drive Z: for it’s pseudo-commands. So, it was not the error I was
expecting. Too be fair, I was expecting just a crash and not an error.

:-)

Jerome