Thanks Eric and Arkady for the replys.

Eric your reply was most helpful, in explaining the FS issue and the networking aspect of FreeDOS. I've taken a keen interest in embedded technology over the past few months. I have some ideas that I have been investigating over that period of time, what I have come to conclude thus far is that Linux/Unix, while a perfect choice for multiuser systems, is not well suited for what my needs and wants are in an embedded OS. WindowsCE is too expensive for my budget. Thankfully theres FreeDOS.

I also wanted to add that I am not a developer. I can read C and can code at a novice level. Plus, I have a novice grasp of CPU architecture, kernels, etc; So, if I use the incorrect terminology, please pardon me and correct me politely.

Arkady -

Given the further enlightenment that I have shed on using FreeDOS as an embedded OS, would you still think that coding the TCP/IP stack into the kernel would not be worth while?

Why I ask that is this, I think we've all read about the Apache -vs- IIS debate for years. It is my understanding that Microsoft decided to build IIS into the kernel of their Windows 2003 Server. Performance wise, this gives IIS a tremendous boost over any other web server (the security issue is a whole other issue). So I think it would reason that if one were to code tcp/ip into the kernel you would then get a performance boost.

All of which may be pointless either way, if you think about it. I've loaded FreeDOS on my old 366 MHz Compaq and it boots faster than any other computer I own. 400MHz is the speed I am looking into for my project, so I suspect boot times on that will only be a few seconds. Responsiveness at the application layer is almost instant. So it might benefit me just to leave it alone and not worry with that.

What say you both?

I see the potential for FreeDOS to be the king of embedded OS's. It's free, small, well developed, I could go on.

Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

Hi!

15-Июл-2004 19:44 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman Bauer) wrote to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

NB> 1. Is it possible to port FreeDOS to work on a journaling file system
NB> like Reiser, Ext2/3, JFS, etc; ?

    You can't "port to", but you may run under FreeDOS any driver, which
will implement access to partitions/devices with any file system.

NB> 2. Does anyone know of a project/group that is attempting to build
NB> TCP/IP into the FreeDOS Kernel?

    I don't know, but there are no reason to "built into" TCP/IP into
kernel. You always may run TCP/IP drivers in FreeDOS, as in any other DOS.

NB> I had reviewed several post in the archives (or maybe it was a BBS)
NB> about the debate over building CDROM driver into the Kernel,

    Why? What wrong with external driver(s)? Especially there are many
different devices and buses: SCSI, IDE, USB and buse...

NB> I believe the consensus from the developers was not to build them into it.

    Of course. Especially because FreeDOS isn't brand new OS, this is clone
of MS-DOS.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by BEA Weblogic Workshop FREE Java Enterprise J2EE developer tools! Get your free copy of BEA WebLogic Workshop 8.1 today. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idG21&alloc_id040&op=click _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel

--
         ~
     .   .

"Free, as in Free Speech"