Points well taken. I'm convinced and so that is the direction I'm going to go in.

Thanks a million Arkady.

Arkady V.Belousov wrote:

Hi!

15-Июл-2004 21:49 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman Bauer) wrote to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

NB> Arkady -
NB> Given the further enlightenment that I have shed on using FreeDOS as an
NB> embedded OS, would you still think that coding the TCP/IP stack into the
NB> kernel would not be worth while?

    Yes.

1. There are a lot of different network cards, and all of them should be
  supported before adding higher level protocols.
2. There are a lot of subprotocols in TCP/IP (as mentioned by Eric): DHCP,
  DNS, FTP, etc...
3. Not all machines have all possible network cards, require all protocols
  or TCP/IP at all.

In any case, such complex task should be solved with help of drivers, which
may be runned over DOS kernel. Similar to HIMEM, EMM386, SMARTDRV, MOUSE
driver, etc. Write once, and use in _any_ DOS, including FreeDOS, without
modifying DOS itself.

NB> Why I ask that is this, I think we've all read about the Apache -vs- IIS
NB> debate for years. It is my understanding that Microsoft decided to build
NB> IIS into the kernel of their Windows 2003 Server. Performance wise, this
NB> gives IIS a tremendous boost over any other web server (the security
NB> issue is a whole other issue). So I think it would reason that if one
NB> were to code tcp/ip into the kernel you would then get a performance boost.

1. DOS and Windows have very different architectures.

2. "build into" in Windows mean "included into main distributive and
  installed automatically". No more, no less.

3. The more Windows version, the more components MS runs at higher CPU ring.
  In theory, on Intel CPUs this may give some "performance boost", but you
  losts much more (including security, which is even more important for
  networking programs like IIS).

4. As I already say, DOS have different (very primitive) architecture in
  compare with other OSes, and you gain only troubles with such joining
  many different programs into one executable.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by BEA Weblogic Workshop FREE Java Enterprise J2EE developer tools! Get your free copy of BEA WebLogic Workshop 8.1 today. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_idG21&alloc_id040&op=click _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel

--
         ~
     .   .

"Free, as in Free Speech"