On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Luchezar Georgiev wrote:

[problems with DOSLFN and SMARTDRV and some obscure problems for
nonstandard configurations]

> So, as a prospective user of the kernel, after contributing to it for more
> than an year, I can conclude than it's good enough for simpler tasks not
> involving writing a lot of long named files on a FAT32 partition. For more
> complex tasks, however, MS-DOS 7.1, PC-DOS 7.1 and ROM-DOS 7.1 are more
> suitable. You can find a good comparison betweent the different DOS
> versions on the page of Wengier Wu (åææ, China DOS Union)
> http://newdos.yginfo.net/dosfat32.htm (page is in English).

Of course this is since the DOSLFN author apparently isn't interested in
running it on FreeDOS and most FreeDOS developers aren't interested enough
in DOSLFN (it's useless on networked drives for instance, which makes
it almost useless in DOSEMU!). Same for SMARTDRV, anyway why SMARTDRV if
we have LBACACHE?

In any case these "China DOS Union" guys seem to think they can freely
redistribute MSDOS 7.10 so if they think that's all fine and it works for
what they want then I wish them good luck.

PC-DOS 7.1 never seems to have been officially released but just appears
to be what's used on Norton Ghost's boot disks.

Remember that Steve Gibson went round trip back to FreeDOS after
evaluating several other DOSes so this means that FreeDOS can't be that
bad :) I just hope that if I ever need spinrite myself Steve can pay back
by giving me a free copy ;)

Bart