hello,

first of all, thank u for yr prompt reply

> > i downloaded freedos Beta 9RC5 and i tried to install on a pc with a
> > creative 52x cd5233e.
> >
> > i used a boot floppy because my pc doesn't boot from cdrom.
>
> which bootfloppy? downloaded/obtained from where?

i used
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/beta9r
c5/fdos1440.zip

> > the result is: error on access to the cdrom, nothing
> installed and the cdrom
> > is damaged and does not work any more.
>
> "does not work anymore" -> what does not work anymore?
> opening the tray? closing tray? reading data? removing the cd-disc?
> more details please.

well... when i turn on my pc, the green led of the cdrom reader blinks, the
tray opens and closes regularly but i cannot read any data from there. i
tried this morning to connect the cdrom to a pc with win98. bios detected
the device on boot and win98 detected it as new hardware and installed it,
but when i put a cd into the reader, it was not able to read the disk.

> > the question: do you think it is possible that the cdrom
> driver used by
> > freedos damages the firmware of that cdrom?
>
> DOS is not advanced enough to do that. I can only think of
> Linux and Windows sometimes messing up
> modems, network and cdrom firmware.
>
> Bernd

thank you