Hi Arkady:

Ok, the BIOS provides support for DOS to recognize the partitions.
This doesn't work on anything like all BIOS's, but it does seem
to work on a lot of newer ones.  I appreciate the clarification...
I'm definitely still learning about how PC's boot.

It is NOT true that C: is always a bootable partition.  C:
may not contain a boot sector and may not be the
active partition.  On at least one of my computers, a
logical partition gets a drive letter under DOS.  I'm not sure if I
could make it C:, but it sure shows up as D:!  I
bet if I removed the FAT primary partition, it would show
as C:.

You can illustrate this by booting from a floppy if there is
a FAT partition around.

I just tried running some applications from a USB stick booting
FreeDOS.  It didn't work very well...the USB stick got
slightly corrupted.  I have seen similar problems today with
MS-DOS without SMARTDRV, so some research is in order!

You can set the "hidden" property using any number of
Linux-based tools...I was using qtParted.  Some boot loaders
allow hiding partitions as well.  This allows booting DOS from
a primary partition which isn't the first one on the disk, I believe.

Thanks for all the help!  I'd love to be able to boot FreeDOS
from a CD and run from a USB stick.  I've got that working now
with MS-DOS, so there is hope... :-)

Mark