At 03:16 PM 5/4/2005 +0200, Fox wrote:

When I load EMM386 with the VDS option and I want to listen to music (MP3)
with MPXPLAY (the DOS32 version) from CD-ROM, the sound is garbled. When I
listen from hard disk, it's ok.

The thing to remember about the VDS option is that it doesn't change anything at all about how EMM386 works. It's only an interface for other applications and strictly an informational interface at that, dealing with what memory (re)maps look like and their alignments. So whatever is happening with VDS present is occurring due to a program and not EMM386.

Is the sound garbled because your CPU is maxed out, the CD transfer is too slow, or because something is causing corruption? If your CPU is maxed out or CD transfer speed, there is not much I can tell you other than trying options to reduce CPU load or speeding up CD (by caching or better DOS driver or faster drive or what have you). Playing music under DOS in an unoptimized system could push things too hard.

If you think you're getting corruption, try X=A000-EFFF in your EMM386 line to temporarily exclude all high memory. Perhaps there is a conflict with a UMB block. If that clears up the problem, then you'll need to figure out exactly which 4K block(s) (for example D800-DBFF and EC00-EFFF) need to be excluded to get back the rest of your upper memory. If that does not clear it up, look to what drivers could be using VDS. Few things do, UDMA is one, network drivers are another, and I don't know if MPXPLAY does or not. If possible, try turning off VDS option for those applications and see if your music starts working.

I don't know where your INT changed messages are coming from or what they are about.

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: NEC IT Guy Games. Get your fingers limbered up and give it your best shot. 4 great events, 4 opportunities to win big! Highest score wins.NEC IT Guy Games. Play to win an NEC 61 plasma display. Visit http://www.necitguy.com/?r=20 _______________________________________________ Freedos-user mailing list Freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user