Hi, so you want to format a real diskette from within dosemu?
Or just a disk image which you later copy to a real diskette
with the Linux "dd" tool? The latter might work better.

You tried to create 3 diskettes with Compaq deskpro tools and
got error 207h or 519 (both are the same value).

> C:\>format a:
> Unknown error.  Error code:  519
> D:\DOSEMU\F10VP\SDOS>bootsec.exe /W /F:bootdsk3 /D:A:
> bootsec: could not perform WRITE operation.  rc = 207H

This error code means: You tried to access a drive in classic
"drive with at most 64k sectors" style (drive is at most 32 MB)
and DOS replied "you have to use DOS 3.31/newer style". Your
Compaq tools do not support that, it seems, at least not for
diskette.

Your tools are right: Diskettes are smaller than 32 MB, so they
should accept the small-style call. Please try if this happens
with some recent kernel version. For example, download the 8086-
compatible (386-optimized is less stable!) OpenWatcom-compiled
FreeDOS cvs stable kernel from http://fdos.org/kernel/ and the
classic kernel version 2035a from:

DOSEMU kernel installation is easy, just replace kernel.sys by
the new version in the directory or the diskimage or partition
which has the role of C: drive for your DOSEMU.

Let us know if the problem still happens with 2035a kernel or
cvs stable kernel, or maybe both, or if the problem got solved
by updating the kernel. Then we will either fix the kernel or
tell the Debian people that they use an old FreeDOS version :-).

Eric