Hi Mike, as you ask for a screen reader (read screen contents
out loud, using e.g. the soundcard), I assume that you are not
interested in Braille display support for DOS?

I think the easiest free screen reading method for you will be
to use BLinux, which uses BrlTTY for general interfacing: BrlTTY
can send text screen snippets to Braille displays, but it also
supports voice output, e.g. with the free MBROLA system. You can
navigate with the buttons on a Braille display or with your normal
computer keyboard. The latter, in combination with voice output,
should allow you to use a computer without any extra supporting
hardware and without any extra software cost.

Note that BLinux can only read text screen contents, while screen
reader software e.g. for Windows ironically specializes to graphical
browsers like MSIE and is on the other hand quite bad with text
screens...

The original distro is on http://leb.net/blinux/
but you have e.g. a BLinux version of or BLinux support in SuSE Linux
(SuSE merged with Novell recently) and other better-known Linuxes.

http://wwwcs.uni-paderborn.de/cs/heiss/blinux/index-en.html
has a link collection about BrlTTY, Emaccspeak, MBROLA...

I know that you asked on a FreeDOS mailing list: However, you can
run DOS in a DOSEmu environment inside Linux to get the screen
reader support. This would not work that well with plain DOS, as
the screen reader is supposed to run at the same time as DOS, while
DOS can normally only run one program at a time. Do not worry about
hardware requirements - without a bloated graphical user interface,
Linux can run quite okay on, say, a classic Pentium MMX with 16 megabytes
or memory and a few hundred megabytes of disk space.

Just for proof of concept, I once wrote a "screen reader" system for
my LCD display for DOS. Actually the (20 by 4 character) LCD display
is used to simulate a Braille display, and buttons connected to the
display are used to navigate the window around in the 80 by 25 char
sized actual screen space. Again, this shows that a DOS version of
BrlTTY would be possible for simpler displays (no USB, no speech),
but you specifically asked for speech. I also know that there are DOS
versions of the MBROLA speech engine, and I once wrote a DOS program
which translates text to speech engine commands. However, you can
only run both my translator and MBROLA from the prompt, neither of
the two can run in the background. So it would be quite pointless for
you. Better use BLinux. Enjoy... :-).

Eric