On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:35:38 +0100, you wrote:

Hi Gerry,

>Yes, I've been testing it on XEONs and no problems as yet. Did you
>notice any other glitches other than the this?

No, I try some tricky DOS applications, got the same old result.
Stable.

>Out of interest, I think you said it would not boot? Can you explain the
>exact steps you used to tell it you wanted to be able to boot? I assume
>you were trying to actually boot the whole RAID5 array using the FreeDOS
>boot sector, the MBR from FreeDOS and the FreeDOS system files, is this
>correct?

Again, should be FDISK problem, seems it can't write the MBR correctly
(happen again today in other PII system!)

Just a normal setup procedure after setting up the RAID-5:

1) FDISK, select maximize the partition and active
2) Reboot
3) format c: /s

After reboot, only see the line cursor jumping around the screen in a
certain pattern, delete the partition and try again, get the same
result. Finally boot the Win98, FDISK and FreeDOS format, OK!

>> The server will install 2003Server soon, just want to try FreeDOS.
>Hmm, it might run faster on FreeDOS:)

FreeDOS still don't have "killer application".

Iif the server can be like Novell, provide connection by TCP/IP and
run some heavy calculation job, FreeDOS surely will better than any
Windows server, since DOS have no (or very little) overhead.

>Yes, I think that's where a lot of people go wrong.

Even the MCSE did this, amazing.

>This could well be a limitation with MS-DOS. There were certainly
>differences between MS-DOS 6.22 FDISK and the FDISK that ships with
>Win95/98/ME (FAT32 and "large" drives), but none of them are as nice as
>FreeDOS.

So just lack a bit bugfix, FreeDOS can be use everywhere.
I've tried PTS-DOS32, the UI is very nice, next step maybe it's time
for FreeDOS to improve the UI.

Rgds,
Johnson.