Gerry Hickman wrote:

In an eariler post I said I'd seen drive sizes reported as 8Gb with SCSI when the drives are actually much bigger. I thought it was related to not using a SCSI driver and BIOS (INT13) reporting wrong size, and Eric said it wasn't. I think Eric is right, but my BIOS has been updated since I last seen this problem, so it's impossible to say what caused it.

After further reading, it seems this kind of thing was originally more of a problem with IDE/ATAPI drives, as opposed to SCSI. Here's an extract from a page talking about INT13:

http://www.fixup.net/tips/20gb/20gb.htm

--- start here ---

Technical Explanation

In PC, hard drive is accessed via BIOS Interrupt 13 calls. Old Int13 routines has limit for 500MB, 8GB or 30GB drives. An extension to Int13 has been added to newer BIOS to eliminate the limit. Therefore, newer BIOS has no this limit. For old BIOS, an overlay program, such as MaxBlast II, can be used to load this extension before OS loading, so the Int13 calls are translated into extension calls.

Old OSs, including DOS, Win3.xx and NT, were not aware of this extension and therefore always need an overlay program to use large hard drives . Newer OSs, including Linux and Win95/98/Me/2000/XP, are aware of the extension and do not rely on an overlay to access hard drive after OS loading. Therefore, performance and reliability of an overlay program is not an issue once these OSs are started. However, they do matter during OS loading and unloading and that's why some overlay programs (such as IBM DM) cause trouble during standby and hibernation.

--- end here ---

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)