Gerry Hickman schreef:
OK; this is something I have not come across. I tend to assume "emulation" was in earlier BIOS's and then "bootability" came later, but you are saying some BIOS's can boot, but can't emulate? That seems a bit odd because how can they read the sectors after they've booted? I mean it must boot up and then assign a drive letter to the USB boot device, and that implies BIOS emulation and therefore BIOS ability to read/write to a USB device.

(I'm sure you're right I just haven't seen it this way round).
Eric means that actually booting from an USB device enables the USB emulation fully (keyboard+mouse + the medium you booted from).

Same thing goes for several SCSI adapters. Boot from it, and it's accessible. Don't boot from it, and you need to load drivers first to access it.

Other devices include Zip drives, MO, etc that all behave this way.
If you don't boot from USB, normally only keyboard+mouse is emulated properly. Johnson Lam has a bootdisk which grants access to USB: http://johnson.tmfc.net/freedos/frame.html

I haven't been able to test USB-CDROM, so I don't know if any ASPI-CD driver would do fine once a driver for the USB controller has been loaded.

Bernd