From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 5:32:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] How to display Japanese

Hi Basudeb,

Not that I am too familiar with Asian locale, mainly due to my lack of
knowledge and also lack of hardware for testing, but here it is what I
know of it.

I am afraid that what Henrique is telling you is only half of the game
that one would need to get a fully Japanese system.

DBCS is not currently supported, as far as I know, nor for Kernel, neither
DISPLAY.SYS (currently DISPLAY.EXE) or other drivers, so there's no "Open
source FreeDOS" way to get Japanese or any other Asian scripts printed on
the screen.

Having said that, the things are a bit better for Japanese than for other
Asian languages such as Chinese or Taiwanese, because it seems that in the
usual way of doing this that I was informed by some Japanese helpers of
mine, the keyboard "driver" can just emit one-single characters, and
there's another component, the Front-End Processor (FEP) that would bridge
between the single-byte keyboard driver and the DBCS system.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any open source FEP to be used, but
fortunately it was a very slight change to be done to current FD-KEYB to
support this, and that I did in the previous version.

Henrique composed the Japanese keyboard layout inside one such
KEYBOARD.SYS file, and unfortunately we didn't manage to have it tested in
an integral test, although unitary tests showed KEYB+this layout did as it
should.

Regarding the compiler, each tool is compiled under a particular one, and
you can compile the kernel itself with several. If I had to choose, I'd
say OpenWatcom.

And finally about the interrupt list, there isn't AFAIK a list of what has
been implemented and what hasn't. There is a list over there that I have
seen, but I don't think it's updated. Source is your friend ;-)

Aitor