I have not found the path or dir A:\special\ with em386 on the bootcd.
After all auto generated screens without any time to read the menus
there it ll be the possibilty to chose Setup. If you chose the dosprompt
and checks it there is no himem no emm386 installed.

I ve had problems to install freedos and boot it with himem and emm386 in the newest version 2.08 . It refers to my pentium II pc and my own build bootdisk with newest kernel and newest versions.
And i

try locating the actual problem

but i need some time, because i have not all emm versions installed and
not all emm options checked.
I have to try it with old kernel and other versions. It ll takes some time.
R.E.Dick -- www.ankreuzen.de -- freedos -- deutsch