This is my experience so far:

First attempt

I tried to install on a pretty small partition (QEMU) where MS-DOS 5.0 was
already installed. The installation very soon stops due to insufficient
hard disk space (although nothing is told, you just see no more "progress"
on the screen). After that the partition is unusable, one can no longer
boot from it :(. This issue is reported to Bugzilla already.

Second attempt

I created a new partition image with QEMU, size 16 MB and installed
FD here. I got through FDISK and Format and this time the installation
succeeded. Now I would like to mount another image as second HD.
It is already formatted as an FAT16 extended partition. No problem to
access it with MS-DOS as "D:". But FreeDOS now tells while booting:

CuteMouse v1.9.1 alpha 1 [FreeDOS]
Installed at PS/2 port
c:\>Remove diskette in drive A:
Insert diskette in drive B:
Press the any key to continue ...
Error reading from drive B: DOS area drive not ready
(A)bort, (I)gnore, (R)etry, (F)ail?

and that was it [btw. where is "the any" key? ;-)]

PS: this is how qemu 0.8.1. is started:
qemu -L bios -m 128 -hda freedos2.img -hdb drive_d.img