Hi Leslie:

The easiest way i know of to create a FAT (might as well make it
FAT32) partition is to use the LiveCD from the GParted project:

gparted.sourceforge.net

This can also be run from a USB stick if your computer can boot
from a USB stick.  You can shrink an NTFS partition and create a
new FAT partition.

You have to be careful with partition ordering and the size of the
restore and primary partitions on some systems.

I wrote up a howto on installing FreeDOS on a WindowsXP system
which is available at www.k1ea.com/hints.  See

Dual-boot "Real" DOS on Windows XP (0.95 beta) by Mark Bailey, KD4D

At this point, i would recommend doing the partitioning with the new
GParted LiveCD from gparted.sourceforge.net instead of using the
older version referenced in that document.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mark Bailey

From: Leslie Shrum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Okay.  That helps a lot.  It is an 80 gig drive with about 40 gigs of free
> space, so I have plenty of space to play with.  I am assuming that I need to
> also install whatever games that I was going to run in freedos on the same
> partition; just for simplicity's sake.  If you could get me the information
> on
> that how to, I would be really grateful.  You have been so helpful so far.  I
> am
> less worried now that I know that it is safe to make a FAT partition.  Thank
> you
> so much!
>   Leslie

--- Begin Message ---
Okay.  That helps a lot.  It is an 80 gig drive with about 40 gigs of free
space, so I have plenty of space to play with.  I am assuming that I need to
also install whatever games that I was going to run in freedos on the same
partition; just for simplicity's sake.  If you could get me the information on
that how to, I would be really grateful.  You have been so helpful so far.  I
am less worried now that I know that it is safe to make a FAT partition.  Thank
you so much!
  Leslie

Eric Auer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Leslie,

> Okay... since I only have NTSF Drives I will use the limited floppy
> method. Unless it is possible to create a FAT Partition without wipping
> the whole drive. I have one hard drive which already has 2 partitions:
> both are NTFS. One is labeled OS and the other is Labeled Recovery.

If you have no FAT partitions, then the floppy method will not help
you to install DOS anywhere on harddisk either. So you will first
have to create a FAT partition to be able to install on harddisk.

You can do that without data loss by using for example the partition
resizer of the installer of a Linux distro of your choice. Those
can make existing NTFS partitions smaller without deleting files.
Your PC will be busy with this for a while.

I think there was also some HowTo for "installing DOS on a NTFS-
only computer" which explains the partition resizing process in
more detail. Somebody on the list might know the URL of the howto.

Once you made a NTFS partition smaller, you will be able to create
a FAT partition and format it. I would suggest to use Linux for
that as well - using DOS is not user friendly, and is more risky.

If your FAT partition is no primary partition, you will have to
use a boot menu like the Windows or Linux one to be able to select
DOS at boot time. You may even have problems with SYS in general.
Then you would either need a boot diskette to boot the DOS on your
harddisk, or you would need nontrivial manual adjustments to make
DOS bootable from harddisk. So the best choice would be to have a
primary FAT partition to install DOS on, preferrably FAT16 as it
is easier to boot from FAT16 than from FAT32. Do not make the
partition too small, a few 100 MB will not hurt on a 200 GB disk.

Eric

Hope is only as strong as the Faith that Sustains it.
  Faith is only as strong as the Love we give
  We can only truly Love when we love OURSELVES

  http://www.myspace.com/leslieslittlecorner

--- End Message ---