I appreciate all the suggestions.  I will consider switching to VMWARE or
DOSEMU.

I did manage to get FreeDOS to boot from the virtual hard drive on the
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, with some tweaking per the suggestions made on
this thread.

I will try VMWARE and DOSEMU and judge for myself, but Free is better than
buying something I'm not sure that I really want.

Ideally my new operating system will be self-supporting when I'm done (or in
my grave) and won't depend on FreeDOS, MS-DOS, Windows, VMWARE, DOSEMU, or
Microsoft Virtual PC.

I just read that the FreeDOS Kernel is the same as the DOS-C kernel
documented in a book, written mostly in C.

I'm still experimenting with Ada, but it looks like using such a nice
language comes with a lot of overhead.  The executable for my test version
won't fit on a single floppy.  It's at 1.8 MB and I'm just getting started.

Right now I'm working on an English text parser which can do things like
spell checking, grammar analysis, etc.  I'm using Ada for that job because I
like how strings are handled in Ada better than C/C++.  I've also played
with Java a little.  C# looks like Java or C++ warmed over to me, but I've
just now started looking at C#.

I have a group where I chronicle my development efforts and it's pretty
geeky, but a lot of fun.  I'm the only real member so far, as the other two
members aren't really into o/s development.  BTW, I have built and
maintained operating systems before, in my work on Spacelab and for the
defense industry.  I'm not a total novice at operating systems type work,
just struggling with a lot of PC-specific problems and poorly written code
and lack of adequate documentation.

I'm not supposed to say thank you for helping me, so I won't.

lol

Brent D. Martin (D as in David & Goliath)