Hi Alain,

> I have been incolved with cutemouse, and I remember this: version 1.9x
> uses BIOS to access PS/2 mouse, version 2.x uses direct hardware access.
> Both version are suposed to be identical in all other matters.

No, version 2.1 uses BIOS again (thanks to Konstantin from Deskwork.de)
and only 2.0 and 2.1 versions do support mice with a scroll wheel.

Interestingly, both "controller programming" and "BIOS" methods to
do the wheel detection handshake sometimes crash the keyboard both
with PS/2 and USB mice, and modern BIOSes somehow make USB mice so
PS/2-ish that even ctmouse 2.0 can detect them. I think the safest
method is to use 1.9 or 2.1 with /O switch (no wheel) for universal
boot disks and try 2.1 first, 2.0 second for wheel support. Please
let me know which version works better for you :-).

> > when I run ctmouse v2.1beta in Qemu, it says
> > "Installed at COM1 (...) in Mouse
> > Systems mode" and the mouse does NOT work inside the emulator.

Mouse Systems (Genius) Mode means "assume that a serial port has
a mouse" because Genius mice have no install check. This is why
the /Y switch should be used to disable Mouse Systems mode. Only
very old mice used this mode.

> > If I try "ctmouse /P", it displays "Error: device not found"

This is "force PS/2" (ignore serial ports) mode.

> > The old ctmouse v1.91a does not have such a problem, it detects
> > a PS/2 mouse and works in Qemu.

After some off-list discussion, we found out that the QEMU BIOS
has a bug (can anybody tell me if Bochs BIOS has the same bug?).

The problem is that QEMU does react on the "enable scroll wheel"
sequence and then reports "scroll mouse present". But if you then
try to enable the scroll mouse communication protocol, you get
an error from the BIOS. So in the end, ctmouse fails to connect.

With the current version of ctmouse, the solution is to use:

ctmouse /O /Y

  /O       - old: disable wheel detection (can improve PnP handling)
  /Y       - do not try Mouse Systems mode for non-PnP devices

This works for example with ctmouse21b3 from:

> www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/ctmouse21b3.zip

Sorry about the unlinked URL, I am planning to
make a new version with better hotplugging and
then make this the "official 2.1", so the 21b3
version is only one of the betas for that.

Eric