Hi Robert,

> > You tell JEMM to use the e000-efff memory space, and you may run into
> > troubles if there is some hardware mapped at those addresses. Just try
> > and see.
>
> MS-DOS related, but it might help:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2004/10/21/246136.aspx
> http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/02/07/368800.aspx

You should have mentioned something about the context
instead of only throwing URLs at us ;-). The first URL
talks about making more low RAM free by loading things
high into UMB and by using fewer drivers. The second
URL talks about DR DOS. One thing that might be useful
for FreeDOS and JEMM is the EMM386 hint in the first:
It says you might be able to use:

EMM386 ... I=B100-B7FF I=C600-C7FF I=CC00-CFFF I=e600-efff

In other words, the Virtual PC VGA BIOS is only 24k, some
area at c800-cbff is in use, some area at e000-e5ff is in
use, and the mono text mode buffer can be partially used
for UMBs (b100-b7ff). Unfortunately it does not tell which
things are in the way at e000-e5ff and c800-cbff, do you
know more about that?

Eric