On Saturday 26 January 2008 18:35, Bernd Blaauw wrote:
> I'm quite interested to see this FDUPDATE in action. I've always dreamed
> about using a single floppydisk and booting it, and then pulling in the
> installation ISO image from a network server or the internet.

Then FDUPDATE is definetely what you are looking for ;-)

> So all that's needed is: kernel, shell, packet driver, cwdspmi, wget,
> fdupdate and finally, writable storage space?

That's right. You must have FDPKG too, as FDUPDATE heavily needs it.
But you do not really need cwsdpmi, as if no dpmi environment found, FDUPDATE
will starts its own dpmi server (included in the binary).

> Does it only work in updating a Freedos installation or can you also
> download packages to create a mini setup or installation on the fly?
> (download fdisk, format, sys, sxcopy for example before starting FreeDOS
> installation)

FDUPDATE may works in two modes:
The first (default one) is "make a list of all FreeDOS software present on the
PC and let's check if there's anything newer on the server".
The second one is acting just like an online installer. It looks what
softwares are available on the server, and display the list on screen (it
doesn't display stuff which is already installed locally). Then, you have
just to select packages which you want, and press enter. FDUDPATE will
download the stuff and install it automagically.

bye,
Mateusz Viste

P.S. I am planning to make a new version of FDUPDATE soon, which will works
following Jim's specifications, but I am currently too lazy for that :-)