I've been putting a measure of time into the Xen environment.  I've learned
a few things, I'm an amatuer as of now.

The gist of what I know is that to run FreeDOS as a VM in Xen you need QEMU
as a virtual hardware bubble.  I believe Xen can run QEMU  as a VM and
FreeDOS inside that.  I believe this because I read an article in LINUX PRO
Magazine(as I remember) hwhere CentOS's install CD will not boot directly
with Xen.  The article used QEMU's hardware emulation to boot the CentOS CD
for installation.  It worked then.

The books below mentions the use of Boch's hardware emulation. You'll have
to look into the details of Xen yourself at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen. Note that Xensource is now owned by
Citrix, the maker of Citrix
Mainframes, a blader server like product.  They are known to have a close
relationship with Microsoft.  Whether this is good or bad is not known to
me.  Try to Google 'Xen HVM'.

Here are the books I've found at the local Borders and the Barnes and
Noble.  These two should give a fairly good introduction to Xen's Theory of
Operations and how to setup and run virtual servers.

ref: The Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor; by David Chisnall; ISBN:
978-0-13-234971-0; 2008; Pub. Prentice Hall; $50;

This book is a hardcore look at the architecture of the Xen Hypervisor with
specific reference as to how it is implemented at the assembly language
level of microprocessors.  It works its way upward towards the details of
the interactions of between master OS, dom0, and the guests, domU or
Hardware Virtural Machines, HVM's.  This is the foundation of how the Xen
works.

A pet peeve of mine is the lack of comprehensive Glossary, Chapter notes and
references, and supporting Appendix.  The index could have much more bulk to
it as well, however this book is quite good.

Xen is a moving target, many changes are being either discussed or
implemented.  One question that comes to mind is whether an online book
would be a better at this point in time.  Changes in Xen can be expected
over the next few years.  It would be good to have a ever changing
reference.

Professional Xen Virtualization; by William von Hagen; ISBN;
978-0-470-13811-3; Pub. Wrox, Wiley Publishing, Inc.; $50

This book is more about how to install, setup, and administer  Xen based
virtualization.  He discusses the history of VM's back through IBM's S/360's
to all of today's significant virtualization projects and techniques.  I
will give you the knowledge of how to run a Xen system and data center.

Good luck on virtualizing FreeDOS.

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Jim Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've run FreeDOS in a PC emulator lots of times, including VMWare. It runs
> fine.
>
> The only thing I like to point out to people is that VMWare (or
> whatever emulator) really is acting like a PC. That means the BIOS
> settings are probably set to a default. The BIOS in the emulator is
> probably set to boot from hard drive first, then floppy, then CDROM
> (which may be an ISO image.)
>
> When you first define the VM for FreeDOS and try to boot the install
> CD, the virtual hard drive is uninitialized, so can't boot from it. So
> it tries floppy ... nothing there ... so tries the CD. That works, so
> the install CD works as you'd expect.
>
> After you've partitioned the hard drive using FDISK and reboot, the
> BIOS tells the virtual PC to try the hard drive first. This time,
> there's a C: drive there, so VMWare will try to boot from it - but it
> doesn't have an operating system on it yet. You'll get a "no operating
> system found" or some similar message.
>
> The solution: when you boot your virtual FreeDOS PC, go into the BIOS
> setup and change the boot order to:
>
> 1. CDROM
> 2. hard drive
> 3. floppy
>

> Then it will work as you expect, and you'll be able to finish the install.
>

> -jh
>

> On 3/4/08, Marcelo Nolodigo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm trying to install freedos on a VMWARE 6 virtual machine.
> > Is there some caveats regarding it ?
> > TIA
> > Marcelo

John S. Wolter President