On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Michael Reichenbach
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP>

>  Hi!

Hi to you too!

>  I don`t know the application SpinRite. But like most harddisk recovery
>  and deep harddisk scan applications it may talk directly to the IDE
>  controller (raw read with own file system drivers).

Absolutely, or more accurately (as I understand it anyway) these
applications talk to any device that has Int 13 and Extended Int 13
support. IDE controllers almost certainly all do this for
compatibility.

>  Therefore if it does not have native support to scan USB harddisks then
>  it doesn`t matter if you add USB drivers or not. At least them would
>  have some support informations about this...

According to the folks who make SpinRite some of the USB drivers also
support Int 13 and translate the commands into something that can be
carried across the USB bus. At that point it gets to the drive and is
translated back into something that is understood by the IDE drive
inside the USB drive case.

The trick here is that USB becomes almost nothing more than a
connection technology to get the command from the processor to the
drive.

>  I made similar experience with EasyRecovery (a very similar application
>  with a dos based rescue floppy).
>
>  You are lucky if you can get USB harddisks to run in dos. But them are
>  removable non ide disks. Them have basic functions, the operating system
>  can work with them and you can install normal applications. What them
>  are still not is a full replacement for internal harddisks.

I don't intend to use these USB drives in DOS for any reason other
than testing. SpinRite is a DOS program. I want to test the hard drive
in the drive case. I'm hopeing to do it over USB so that I don't have
to take the drive out of the case, install it in a system, test it,
take it out of the system, reinstall in the case and probably break
something along the way.

>  If any hardware near application is also made to analysis USB harddisks
>  then it will come with some instructions to get the driver working. My
>  advise is not to do to much fiddling and force an legacy application to
>  do something it wasn`t made for.
>
>  Btw: if you don`t know already. Most (I did not find any whos not)
>  external USB harddisk is just a normal harddisk with an USB enclose. You
>  can unplug this harddisk and stick it in your comp like an normal
>  internal harddisk also.

Yes, completely understood.

>  Maybe get rather a more up to date software for this purpose.

Possibly. For now I own this one and use it on all my system's
internal drives. I'd now like to use it on these external drives if
possible.

Thanks!

- Mark