OK, thanks. I'll keep trying.

I've got some spare disk space on one of my machines so it seems that
maybe I should first get USB working on that and then worry about
doing it from a CD.

Note that the Linux tools are fairly reasonable for making bootable
CDs if you want to try them out. I'm just starting to work with them
myself.

- Mark