Hi Larry,

> > MODE CON lines=43
> > MODE CON lines=16

> > The first line selects EGA 350 row mode and the second

EGA normally uses 640x350 pixels which is ca 80x25 chars
with a font of 8x14 and asking MODE to select a 43 line
text mode makes MODE select EGA because only EGA has a
suitable resolution: 43 lines times 8 pixels is ca 350.

With 8x14 or 8x16 font you would need SVGA or higher to
get 43 lines so MODE decides that EGA is a good choice
and this is why you end up in a mode with 350 pixels
height after the first MODE line.

> > line selects 8x16 font, giving you 80x21 chars of text.

Fonts for 8x16, 8x14 and 8x8 are the default sizes for DOS
and the BIOS. Dosemu has a simulated BIOS with those fonts
but I do not know whether you can/should override with PCF.

The second MODE line selects a larger font without changing
the resolution and 350 divided by 16 is about 21 lines.

> > If you now maximize your DOS window, it should be quite
> > easy to read :-).

Dosemu can just zoom the 640x350 pixels used by DOS now
(maybe 720x350 in text mode for extra spacing, not sure)
to whatever size your screen actually has. So when you
maximize the window, DOS does not really use a larger
font. Only dosemu shows each pixel larger... :-).

Eric