On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 22:35 -0500, Mike Webb wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:05:05 -0700
> > From: robinson-west user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > I have a Tandy Color Computer 3.  My 5.25" floppies are mostly dead.
> > What I'm wondering is, beyond software to read COCO disks under dos is
> > there software that will allow me to replace the disk drives via a
> > serial link to my dos machine?  There is Drivewire, but I think it is
> > designed for Windows.
> >
> > http://www.cloud9tech.com/
> >
> >     Michael Robinson
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you're wanting to do, Michael, but if your
> drives are dead and the disks are readable, I just checked on eBay and
> there are a number of 5-1/4" drives being offered; 360K, 1.2M, and
> combo. Hope this helps.

My floppies are probably dead.  Even a perfect disk drive won't in all
likelihood read them.  5 1/4" disk drive technology seems to be dead,
where do you get 5 1/4" floppies these days?  3 1/2" floppy drive tech
is going out even where the color computer never supported high density
disks of any kind.  What I want to do is get away from disks completely
and use the color computer's serial port to send my COCO programs to my
486 running Freedos 1.0 natively.

To do this, I know I need a special RS232 cable that connects to my COCO
3's din serial port and a standard serial port on my 486.  I also need a
serial program on both machines.  I figure I can pick up a tape drive to
store and load the serial program that the COCO needs.  Nobody supports
using a Freedos PC as a virtual hard drive(s) via the serial port for a
COCO.  There are programs for Windows, but I don't want to bother with
Windows on my old 486.  I want to be able to save machine language and
basic program files that work on my COCO on my 486 and retrieve them
from the COCO.  I don't know how to write the software for the COCO and
the 486 running Freedos to do this, but if I did I'd release it under
the GNU general public license.  A solution that allows use of the COCO
serial port to save and retrieve files on an IBM PC running dos could be
enhanced to do this for a Commodore 64 as well.  These old computers are
great tools for first time programmers to learn on, but saving to tape
is the pits and disk drives are going out.  Yes you can pick up a hard
drive package for the COCO, but these packages are very expensive.  Who
wants to spend $100+ on a 40 pin IDE or SCSI controller that plugs into
their COCO from http://www.cloud9tech.com anyways?  A serial cable and
open source software is cheap in comparison to a cloud9 hard drive kit.
You can pick up 15 gig hard drives for $15 on ebay, I shudder to think
what cloud9 will request for a 4 gig drive.  What I probably need to do
is implement ftp client over serial software on the COCO 3 and an >
http://www.cloud9tech.com/
ftp server on the Freedos 486.

How do you do serial port programming in Freedos?  I want to network
the COCO 3 and the Freedos 1.0 486 over a serial link with the 486 being
an ftp server and the COCO 3 an ftp client.  Any help would be very much
appreciated as long as the assistance is compatible with the
GNU GPL ;-)  Note, done right this software would work on a Pentium 4
with SATA drives and a serial port running Freedos 1.0.  The cable with
the right pin information is makeable.  The software is a bit tougher.

     -- Michael C. Robinson