There are expensive benchmarks out there like Bapco Mobilemark that will test
laptop battery characteristics including run-time.  There are also free methods
like "pop in a DVD and sit in front of the laptop with a timer until the
machine shuts down."

But this seems like a good job for DOS, which won't complain if power
termination shuts the machine off instead of a soft shutdown process.

I'm sure there are some battery calibration utilities out there that do
something to exercise the machine until the battery charge is depleted, but I
want something that also logs the uptime so I can just start it, let it run,
and restart on A/C later to find out the results.

Has anyone put together such an item?

--John Hupp