Hi Michael,

> Do BIOS update 100 % step by step as the manual says. No experiments wit
> h DOS versions, TSR's, boot medium (if you shall use legacy floppy then
> do so). Otherwise you risk the BIOS update to fail as the developers did
> not thought about your modified use.

I agree that unloading TSRs can cause risks, but I would not
overdo the 100% step by step part. Remember that even big
mainboard makers shipped half-broken modifications of FreeDOS
with their products and that for example MS DOS simply is no
longer legally available for normal post-Win9x home users.

> Ok, well you can experiment if you have the equipment
> to remove the flash chip and to flash it from outside.

Better BIOSes have various fallback options, such as a second
copy of the BIOS or a part which cannot be flashed which is
able to load update floppies even after a failed BIOS update.

I personally would say that floppy is best (if you still have
a drive) followed by harddisk, CD/DVD and then USB. You should
avoid loading EMM386 for compatibility reasons but HIMEM should
be safe for most BIOS update tools as far as I remember... If
your BIOS USB drivers are not stable, it might help to copy all
relevant files to RAMDISK before updating the BIOS. You could
even BOOT from a RAMDISK, using ISOLINUX / SYSLINUX and MEMDISK.

In general, it is bad if you have to load "fancy" drivers such
as USB, NTFS or network, between booting and flashing... It is
much better if you can put your BIOS update files directly on
the drive where you will boot from, so you need no extra driver.

Eric