On Thursday 16 April 2009 04:50 (CEST), Aitor Santamaría wrote:
> I strongly suggest to look for a way to exclude with unzip the
> extracting of the sources on a binary-only install mode.

You are absolutely right - this is a *must have* for the 1.1 installer!

> Just another small pro: we have one more letter in the file names (for
> those of us who care about the 8.3 format in the package names).

Indeed. Currently, LBACACHE is transformed into LBACACHX. But what if one day
we would have both a LBACACHE program, and a LBACACH one? See, crappy things
may happen ;-)
Having one global package per program is just so much simpler.

> And just another idea (maybe for the wiki too, if everyone likes it):
> if such option exists in unzip, then I suggest for all programs using
> cats/kitten to store their catalog in a per-language basis, so that
> the installer can simply drop the directories of the unwanted

No way... It would mean rewritting CATS/Kitten/Foxcubs for any existing
application, for a really not so great profit...
NLS files aren't that big anyway (few KiB...), and it's a great functionality
to be able to switch from one language to another just by typing SET LANG=xx.
:-)

Best regards,
Mateusz Viste

--