Hi gang,
I had to do some programming on the DOS human performance tests that I
wrote after a considerable break. I had downloaded FreeDOS 1.0 a while
ago and fortunately hadn't gotten around to installing it until a few
days ago. When I tried to recompile some code, the compiler started
throwing errors like:

Can't open file c:\bc\lib\emu.lib

even though the files were all there with no access restrictions. The
command line compiler gave similar errors, as did the command line
linker. As about the only thing I had done was to install the new
version of FreeDOS, I laboriously copied the essential Borland
installation to an ancient laptop that I use as a lab machine (using
1.44M floppies!). This had the same version of FreeDOS that I had
replaced. Sure enough, the compiler worked again and I got the
executable. I don't know what went wrong, but perhaps this will uncover
something that can be fixed for the next release.

Jim