Hi DZ,

> Anyone have any idea which PCI sound cards will work with with FreeDOS on
> modern systems? Last I've read somewhere the modern motherboards have
> changed drastically that it will no longer allow SoundBlaster or similar
> clone cards to work correctly with Sound Blaster emulation.
>
> Any suggestions on what PCI sound cards I should get to get sound to work
> with some older DOS applications, particularly older DOS games? I recall
> reading somewhere Aureal Vortex cards might work but I want to get some real
> advice from subscribers here.

There are some wiki and faq pages about this question:

www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.SoundCardChip
www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.DevelSound

http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cgi-bin/viewfaq.cgi?faq=Using_FreeDOS/119
http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cgi-bin/viewfaq.cgi?faq=Using_FreeDOS/157
http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/faq/cgi-bin/viewfaq.cgi?faq=Using_FreeDOS/438

The short story is: If you cannot use ISA slots for a real soundblaster
compatible soundcard, you can only select which evil method you consider
the least evil :-). PCI soundblasters (16, 128 or 512 PCI, Live, Audigy)
come with "drivers" which create a whole virtual compatible soundblaster
for your DOS software and then send the sound to the (actually AC97 in
most cases) real PCI soundblaster hardware.

Some VIA chips on mainboards from Pentium III times up to ca single core
Athlon64 times create a decent SBPro hardware compatibility but need
some (small) drivers for the volume control and init part of the work.
They also sometimes use unusual IRQ numbers, which the small drivers
try to work around. Cards based on ForteMedia FM801 chipset have similar
properties: Hardware which can do AC97 and more or less compatible
SBPro, with small drivers to cover some gaps...

The FM801 chips are unable to support DMA on a newer (Athlon64x2 etc)
mainboard, I assume VIA would have the same problem but I do not know
if you can even get VIA based PCI soundcards. I only know the VIA way
from sound hardware built into mainboards themselves.

Last but not least, there is VSB, a virtual soundblaster (Pro or worse)
for DOS which is free software. The idea is similar to the SB Live and
other SB-PCI "drivers" but the software is not maintained and there is
no support for AC97 hardware yet. You would have to use something like
the internal beeper / PC speaker or a Covox printer port D/A converter.

Eric

PS: Can anybody access (or provide a mirror of)
http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/html/snddosdr.htm or
http://vsynchmame.mameworld.net/ at the moment?