Hi Kurt,

>> Ok, I give up; I knew that linux has 'make' and 'make install' all
>> over the place, but, until this afternoon,
>> I never knew that dos has it. While attempting to install some parts
>> of HX and GEM to djgpp, I was struck
>> by this: "use 'make' to configure the includes(headers) and libraries,
>> and use 'make install' to install them
>> in the djgpp". Never heard of 'make' in dos

Many compilers have a "make". If you try to compile HX or GEM, then
you probably would use Turbo C, Borland C, DJGPP or OpenWatcom C.
Each of them has a separate version of MAKE. The MAKE of Turbo C
is a "light" version of the Borland C MAKE. The MAKE of DJGPP is
just a DOS version of the GNU make, because DJGPP is a DOS version
of the GNU C and C++ compiler suite :-). Note that you always have
to read documentation before you compile things in DOS. The usual
Linux "configure, make, make install" steps are not so common for
DOS apps. Unless the DOS apps are ports of Linux apps, of course.

>> does 'target' refer to the djgpp includes  and libraries

That sounds more like options for gcc, like -Iincludedir and
also -Llibrarydir and -llibraryname... What is called a target
for make is the "section" of the make file that you want to
run. For example if you say "make install" then the target is
"install" and make will look for that section in your makefile.

>> Then where does the 'source' go on the commandline?

Nowhere. To compile a simple program, you can easily work
without make or makefiles. For example you could say:

gcc -Wall -O3 myprogram.c -o myexefilename
(or even say gcc -Wall -s -O3 *.c -o myexefile ...)

>> Is the source called a 'makefile'?

No. A makefile is a text file which describes the build
process of your software. It tells the make tool which
compiler to call for which source files and how :-). DOS
apps can easily have no makefile at all, they can have
a batch script which does the compiling or maybe even
only a piece of text in the documentation which tells
you to run "tcc -w -Isomedir source.c" or similar..

>> Then, amazingly, when trying to google this up, nobody
>> has this info(instead:"here are some of the most
>> common dos commands"). *come ON*, what gives...

Actually compiling is a very uncommon activity for a
common DOS user - even for the open source FreeDOS
you can easily download already compiled binaries :-)

Eric