Euphoria interpreter support multiple threads in the same program.

On MS-DOS 5.0 had a task switch utility DOSSHELL.  Was not very
popular but offered a simple multitasking.  Something like win31 on
standar mode with all the programs on full screen mode.

2010/4/7, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de>:

> Hi Geraldo,
>
>> while we can't push any much modern idea would
>> be possible to implement a thread facility in FD
>> kernel using protothread http://www.sics.se/~adam/pt/ ?
>> it would allow many interesting things
>> or at least, we could use on FD install to
>> unzip packages in parallel?
>
> For unzipping in the background in the installer,
> it would be easier to make the installer itself
> use multithreading, not the kernel. As far as I
> remember, the installer already does the unzip
> itself, so it does not call unzip exe for this.
>
> The kernel does not normally wait a lot for things,
> but of course it would be interesting to be able
> to let several DOS apps use the kernel at the same
> time. However, that would be more multitasking than
> multithreading. The tricky topic is "reentrancy":
>
> While the kernel works for program X, if program Y
> calls it, the status of the work in progress must
> not be in the way. But in DOS, it must be, because
> the interface of DOS is designed that way, I think.
>
> The only thing that you can do is swapping the SDA
> (swappable data area) to save / restore state when
> Y wants to interrupt and use the kernel for a moment
> while normally the kernel would be busy with work
> for program X at that moment.
>
> Anyway - multithreading inside one program, for
> example the installer which would also unzip data
> in the background - is easy if you have a library
> and compiler for it. The only DOS thing you have
> to do is make sure that no two threads use any DOS
> services at the same time, but for that, you can
> put all kernel access into a piece of your code
> which takes care of this exclusive access check.
>
> Eric

Marco A. Achury
Tel: +58-(212)-6158777
Cel: +58-(414)-3142282