> Please can someone tell me how I might go about building a
> freedos executable to do some simple graphics

DOS GUI development is much appreciated :-)

1. VGA mode 320x200x8bpp (safest and easiest)

2. VGA mode 640x480x4bpp (safest but more painful)

3. Other VGA/ModeX (less safe)

4. Banked VESA (I deprecate it)

5. LFB VESA (needs PM, interesting hack:
http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=9738 )

6. Use FreeBASIC (needs at least 300 MHz ...)

7. Use DUGL (also WATCOM support ??? needs MMX)

8. Native card acces or a new driver model :-))))))))))))))))))))

9. Use HX and VESA32.DLL or emulated GDI/SDL/OGL (DeLL HeLL)

> I have already installed the watcom compiler an

I won't help you with C-specific stuff, though.

> if it works on all machines, that kind of stuff

See above and reveal what machines you want to support and
what resolutions you expect. I have no idea about graphics
on 8086 PC's, sorry :-(

http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=FaqDOS#item11

http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?p=106203#106203

--