> - Remove the word "DOS" from the name (the thing is unable to boot
> into a PC, so it's not a OS and thus not a DOS)

I don't think they use the term for it, sorry for confusing you.

> - Remove the "DOS-like interface that maps the native file system"
> (so turn it into a clean 80386 / 80486 / early Pentium PC emulator)

No, the file system support is quite useful. Rather, remove the pseudo-DOS
around it entirely - but retain the file system mapping as a file system
redirector that would be installable in the emulated DOS (similar to *CDEX
and other file system drivers).

Regards,
Christian