> How do I compile 16-bit-only DOS software from command line?

Try the wcl command. I think "wcl foo.c" should already produce a program
(foo.exe) from the given source file; otherwise read its help until you
get it working. wcl stands for "Watcom Compile & Link", it is a front-end
program that executes the wcc ("C Compiler") and wlink (linker) commands
for you.

wcl386 and wcc386 are related to wcl and wcc and I think they are used for
(or default to) 32-bit development. I dunno about the details.

Regards,
Christian